This is by far the best vegan brownie recipe we have tried – it is both rich in flavour and texture. We used the recipe by geniuskitchen as a guide and then adapted the ingredients for healthier alternatives (or as healthy as chocolate brownies can get!)
Ready in: 45 mins Serves 12-16
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup organic maple syrup
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup olive oil or coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts (or nuts of your choice)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks – we use Lindt dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds (optional) – I’m slightly addicted to these and add them into everything possible!
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Cook water and 1 cup of the spelt flour over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistency of a gluey paste (yum).
- Remove from heat and let it cool completely.
- Mix sugar, vanilla, cacao powder, maple syrup and oil, and then add the spelt flour-water mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of spelt flour, plus the baking powder and nuts/chocolate chips/pumpkin seeds.
- Spread mixture into a greased 11×7-inch pan.
- Bake at 180C for 25 minutes, or until fork inserted into centre of pan comes out clean.